Back Pain Relief By Dr. Luke Schmelzle DC
“Help! I threw my back out, but I need a gentle touch!”
I get this call a lot. Back and neck pain are the most common complaints people have when visiting a chiropractor, but increasingly these same people are searching desperately for a gentle touch to relieve acute pain.
Conventional chiropractic care can provide temporary relief with harsh cracking and rough adjustments. Gentle touch Network chiropractic care, which is what I offer, provides long term relief from acute as well as chronic pain, without cracking or adjustments, because network care addresses pain at the source, rather than just its expression.
If you’ve visited a conventional chiropractor, you know that it can ease your pain initially, but the pain soon returns, often even worse than before, and you need another forceful adjustment. This can feel like a hamster wheel for a lot of people who finally come to me for a longer lasting more profound and gentle approach to sustained pain relief.
Recently I sat down for a consultation with a man who recently moved to the Rogue Valley and the stress of this radical change, along with the multitude of other stressors weighing on all of us right now, left him in intense physical pain. As in all my consultations, we discussed everything going on in the patient’s life, and how this may have compounded the bound emotional energy at the root of physical pain. After our consultation we were able to effectively address his problem in only a few sessions.
How Does This Work?
Light touch directly impacts the central nervous system. When an embryo develops, the skin and nervous system are derived from the same germ layer. The sensory cortex of the brain is responsible for receiving, interpreting, and mapping out touch sensations in the body. In short, light touch connects with the nervous system in a profound way.
So, if you’re experiencing back or neck pain, acute or chronic, in addition to digestive issues, a weakened immune system, or any myriad of other health concerns, come to Tail of the Sun Network Care for a consultation so together we can get to the root of the problem.
What Can I Try at Home for Back Pain Relief?
1. Rest & Exercise. Pain is your body’s way of telling you that something is wrong. Rest is very important. Refrain from lifting heavy objects, straining forward, and twisting your back. However, prolonged rest is not good for you and may actually extend the pain cycle. Get yourself going, even if uncomfortable. Motion is Lotion. Gentle body movements will really help.
2. Ice & Heat. You can apply alternating treatments of ice and heat, about twenty minutes each, with a two hour gap in between. This can make a big difference.
3. Topical Treatments. If you would like a product to help you manage your muscle pain, I would recommend Lotus Om Creams, made locally in Ashland, OR. Many types available, including some with CBD.
4. Breathwork. There are many great types out there. I recommend Somato Respiratory Integration (SRI), as it is structured along the arc of healing.
5. Meditation and Mindfulness. When you purposefully are in a still position, your brain has a chance to quiet itself and to deal with the pain better. Daily practices of meditation can also require your brain so that pain is less impactful. It reduces the inflammation process.
Pain free living is attainable. You just need to take that first step.
(Dr. Luke is owner of Tail of the Sun in Ashland. 541-816-1911.)